Saturday 27 February 2016

Fauvism - Darkness in the Summertime

Darkness in the Summertime  

Fauvism would use different colours in a painting to create structure within the art, without the colours having to be true to the natural world.  They focused on capturing an individuals expressions and emotions.  

To recreate fauvism, I painted an image of flowers using different, vivid colours.  I altered the original colours in the image by changing the petals of the flower from pink, to pink and green and the background to blue and yellow.  


By using vivid colours to recreate an image, different parts of the painting now stand out.  For example, the stems of the flowers were originally green, however, I changed them to be a bright yellow colour on top of a dark blue background.  Also, some petals of the flowers are green with blue shadows, while others are pink with red shadows, which helps to make the shadows of the flower stand out.  My inspiration for this painting was a photograph I took of flowers around my house, during the summer.  The photograph has a bright, summer feeling, whereas my painting has more of a dark feeling since I changed the colour of the background to a dark blue.  As I was painting this image, I didn't intentionally want the mood of this painting to feel dark; instead I wanted to focus on incorporating contrasting colours in the painting to make different elements stand out.  The end result was that different elements do stand out in the painting, however, there is a feeling of darkness which viewer's may feel as they look at the painting.  

- Yours Truly 

http://www.theartstory.org/movement-fauvism.htm

No comments:

Post a Comment

Interior Design - Dental Office

Dental offices may cause anxiety and stress for some people even though it is a place where people should leave feeling happy with a smile ...